Melbourne City v Newcastle Jets: match preview
Melbourne City cannot afford to drop points and lose sight of leaders Sydney FC when Erick Mombaerts' side play host to Newcastle Jets this Saturday evening (7.30pm kick off AEDT).
The gap between second-placed City and front-runners Sydney stands at 13 points following Melbourne's 2-2 draw with Brisbane Roar last time out and the margin for error is diminishing by the weekend for the club from Bundoora.
City will be desperate to return to winning ways and build momentum once more, but Newcastle Jets may prove tricky customers.
Interim coach Craig Deans' side were resurgent in their 2-1 defeat to Sydney last Friday, a much-improved display from the Hunter Valley club in the wake of ex-coach Ernie Merrick's sacking.
The re-energised Jets will fancy their chances claiming a result and exposing a City defence that has leaked 22 goals this season. Only Newcastle themselves have conceded more.
Melbourne City v Newcastle Jets
Saturday, 18 January 2020
Kick off: 7.30pm AEDT
Broadcast: FOX Sports 505
Stream: MyFootball Live App, Kayo Sports
Ways to watch
How to follow the action
Match centre: Live updates, videos and statistics
Follow @ALeague on Twitter and join the conversation using #MCYvNEW #ALeague
Did you know?
- Melbourne City have won six of their last nine Hyundai A-League matches against the Newcastle Jets (drawn one, lost two), and have averaged 2.4 goals in that time.
- Melbourne City have lost two of their last three Hyundai A-League matches at AAMI Park (with one win), as many defeats as they picked up in their 20 games prior at the venue (won 13, drawn five)
- Melbourne City are the only team to have taken 200+ total shots (including blocks) this Hyundai A-League season, with 225. Their tally is 26 more than the next best side – Adelaide Untied (199).
- Newcastle Jets are winless in their last six Hyundai A-League matches (drawn one, lost five). The last time they endured a longer winless stretch was a 10-match run to finish the 2016/17 season.
- Jamie Maclaren has scored nine goals in 13 Hyundai A-League matches against Newcastle Jets. Only against Western Sydney Wanderers has he scored more in the competition (12).