Brisbane Roar v Wellington Phoenix: match preview
Wellington Phoenix can set a new club record of straight 10 matches undefeated by avoiding defeat to Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday afternoon (kick off 5.00pm AEDT).
Ufuk Talay's side made it nine consecutive fixtures without loss after accounting for Western Sydney Wanderers 2-0 last time out, a result that tightened Phoenix's grip on fourth position.
The New Zealanders have won three in a row ahead of this Round 15 meeting against the Roar, whom they beat 2-1 on November 23, the start of the club's impressive, unbeaten string of form.
Robbie Fowler's Brisbane appear to be on the up after earning a 2-2 draw at home with Melbourne City last Saturday, following an excellent 2-1 win away to Western Sydney Wanderers.
The Queensland club could even steal an unlikely march into the top six if results go their way, but Roar would need to muster an outstanding performance against a side many are tipping as competition dark horses.
Brisbane Roar v Wellington Phoenix
Saturday, 18 January 2020
Kick off: 4pm local, 5pm AEDT
Broadcast: ABC TV, FOX Sports 505
Stream: MyFootball Live App, Kayo Sports, ABC iView
Ways to watch
How to follow the action
Match centre: Live updates, videos and statistics
Follow @ALeague on Twitter and join the conversation using #BRIvWEL #ALeague
Did you know?
- Brisbane Roar have only lost two of their 19 home matches against Wellington Phoenix in Hyundai A-League history (won 13, drawn four). Two of the last three have been goalless draws.
- Brisbane Roar are undefeated in their last three matches (one win, two draws). They haven't been on a longer unbeaten run since a four-match stretch (three wins, one draw) in March 2018.
- Wellington Phoenix have a 67% passing accuracy in the final third of the pitch this season, the highest of any team in the Hyundai A-League.
- Matti Steinmann of Wellington Phoenix boasts the best tackle success rate (76%) of any player to make at least 25 tackles in the 2019/20 season, seven percent more than the next best player, Scott Jamieson of Melbourne City.
- Jay O'Shea has played the most passes into the box (146) of any player in the 2019/20 Hyundai A-League campaign, 49 more than Phoenix's best Ulises Davila (97).