Zebras shock South Hobart in Victory League

Tilford Zebras put an end to South Hobart's undefeated start to the season in Tasmania's Victory League.

Tilford Zebras put an end to South Hobart's undefeated start to the season in Tasmania's Victory League.

South Hobart 1 (Hugh Ludford 75-) def. by Tilford Zebras 3 (Mark Page 11-, Alex Leszczynski 40-, Adam McKeown 70-)

It was match of the round, with the undefeated South Hobart hosting a Tilford Zebras team on fire.

If South Hobart prevailed it would give them a nine point gap on the top of the table and make them a tough team to chase down. It wasn-t to be for South Hobart though, with the Zebras causing a major upset to keep their title hopes alive.

Zebras struck 11 minutes in with midfielder Mark Page hammering home off a set piece to put them in control early, it was then made more comfortable with big bustling Alex Leszczynski heading home spectacularly in the 40th minute.

South Hobart had their chances to peg it back, with close range misses from Kanakaris and Rogers. Adam McKeown scored for the Zebras and South skipper Hugh Ludford replied promptly, chipping Zebras star recruit keeper Ryan Norval in style. It wasn-t enough for the ladder leaders, with Tilford Zebras running out 3-1 victors, shooting themselves up the table into third position.

Kingborough Lions 4 (Joel Schuth 27-, 71-, Trent Pearce 37-, Martin Farquhar 38-) def. Launceston City 1 (Saeed Bin Sumaida 47-) (HT 3-0)

Kingborough Lions grinded out an important win over the battling Launceston City, it was their first victory at home for the season. It was an important three points for Kingborough in front of a home crowd at Lightwood Park, the Lions have been in good form but have failed to bring home wins despite outplaying Tilford Zebras and Olympia for large periods in their recent fixtures.

Despite suffering their ninth loss for the season, it was an improved performance from Launceston City with a rise in pressure and Bin Sumaida netted the second goal for the year for the cellar dwellers.

It was not their best performance but Kingborough did what they had to, striker Joel Schuth starred for the Lions with a brace, the win keeps their hopes for a top four position alive.

Devonport City 5 (Brayden Mann 21-, 30-, 73-, Brody Denehey 54-, Michael Holden 58-) def. Olympia Warriors 0 (HT 2-0) It was a six point game for Devonport, as they took on the out of sorts Olympia.

The strikers dropped out of the top four with a disappointing 6-1 loss at the hands of Tilford Zebras in Round 8 but they bounced back in emphatic style this week, thumping Olympia 5-0.

Olympia started brightly but were unable to create chances with their forwards struggling to impact the contest, and the Warriors were punished at the other end by Devonport-s spearhead Brayden Mann, who put away two chances in lethal fashion prior to half time.

Their woes were increased with an injury to Korean livewire Jin, who was helped off the field with a knee injury. Devonport exploded out of the blocks in the second half and youngsters Michael Holden and Brody Denehey caused havoc on the flanks beside the dangerous Mann.

Joel Stone was exceptional for the home side and his flair in midfield helped Devonport along to a dominant three point performance. Mann iced the game for his side, securing a hat-trick, to return his team to the all-important top four.

Northern Rangers 2 (Pat Lanau-atkinson 28-, Todd Hingston 62-) drew with Glenorchy Knights 2 (Phineas Aldridge 37-, Callen Griffin 65-)

Northern Rangers hosted an undermanned Glenorchy and the young Knights came to play and fought out a fighting draw.

Rangers went in heavy favourites but from the first whistle Glenorchy made life difficult for the Northerners. Rangers looked the more dangerous side early and got reward for a sustained period of forward pressure, when Patrick Lanau-atkinson tapped in to put them up 1-0.

Glenorchy knocked it round well but struggled to worry the Rangers defence, it took a stunning strike from youngster Phin Aldridge on his first Victory League start to tie things up, with an un-saveable long range screamer.

Todd Hingston was instrumental for Rangers in midfield and it was the bearded skipper that took the advantage once more for the Rangers, nodding home from an aerial cross into the left corner past a scramble of Knights legs.

Unfortunately for the hosts their lead was short lived, with Kamba linking up with make-shift forward Callen Griffin, Griffin slotted home past Poolley and squared the ledger.

UK import Shane Brassington worked hard for a winner but despite a plethora of forays forward the stubborn Knights defence held them at bay.