Western United FC v Central Coast Mariners: match preview
Western United are seeking their first win in over a month in Sunday afternoon's affair with Central Coast Mariners (kick off 4.00pm AEDT).
Mark Rudan's troops spent Round 14's bye weekend recovering from back-to-back losses against Wellington Phoenix and Melbourne City, and it would seem the Hyundai A-League's newest club are in the middle of a mid-season funk.
The arrival of Central Coast Mariners offers a good test for a United side whose last victory came against Brisbane Roar, 2-0, on December 13.
Central Coast will be touching down in Melbourne following a dramatic, morale-boosting 3-2 triumph at the expense of Melbourne Victory last Sunday.
The chance to move within a single point of United and knock on the door of the top six should give Alen Stajcic's visitors no shortage of incentive as they attempt to salvage a repeat result of the 1-0 win over United in Gosford last November.
Western United FC v Central Coast Mariners
Sunday, 19 January 2020
Kick off: 4pm AEDT
Broadcast: FOX Sports 505
Stream: MyFootball Live App, Kayo Sports
Ways to watch
How to follow the action
Match centre: Live updates, videos and statistics
Follow @ALeague on Twitter and join the conversation using #WUNvCCM #ALeague
Did you know?
- The Central Coast Mariners won their only previous Hyundai A-League meeting with Western United, 1-0, on November 24, although this will be their first encounter in Victoria.
- Western United are winless from their last four matches against New South Wales opposition (drawn one, lost three) after winning their first match against NWS opponents 2-0 against Western Sydney Wanderers on November 9.
- Six of Western United's seven home match have seen the half-time result reflect the final outcome, with the hosts winning two, drawing one and losing four.
- Mariners goalkeeper Mark Birighitti has made the most saves from shots outside the box of any gloveman in the competition, 21. That's five more than Western United's Filip Kurto (16).
- Western United's Jerry Skotadis has the best passing accuracy (93%) of any player (with a minimum of 100 passes) in the Hyundai A-League this season. Kim Eun-sun is the Mariners' most accurate passer on 87%.