Socceroos stun England in historic first win on English soil

The Socceroos have pulled off a stunning upset over a star-studded England side, winning 3-1 at Upton Park.

Goals to Popovic, Kewell, and Emerton ensured the Aussies would leave London with a memorable win against one of the world’s best.

It was a strong start to the match for the Socceroos with multiple early chances.

Scott Chipperfield went up to meet a cross from Harry Kewell only for the ball to be headed by Gary Neville in defence.

It would not take long for Kewell to have his own shot at goal.


Receiving the ball off a quick counterattack, the Leeds United striker shot from range forcing David James into making a diving save.

Kewell was again causing problems for the English defence, darting into the box before hitting his shot just wide of the goal.

With the Socceroos in control of proceedings, it would not take long before they went ahead on the scoreboard.

A good passage of play forward ended with Stan Lazaridis standing over a free-kick.

WATCH: Tony Popovic opens the scoring for the Socceroos

The Birmingham City man sent the ball towards the back post, with Tony Popovic rising highest to head the ball home.

The hosts would create their chances, with Paul Scholes thinking he had levelled the scores following a goalmouth scramble, only for the assistant referee to raise his flag for an offside.

Michael Owen robbed Mark Schwarzer of the ball inside the box, but spared the keeper his blushes by sending his shot into the side of the goal.

Despite the momentary scare, the Socceroos went back up the other end to put the English under pressure.

With Frank Lampard giving the ball away cheaply near the edge of the box, Kewell danced around before playing it out to Chipperfield who sent the ball in towards Mark Viduka, only to see the Leeds man have his headed effort tipped over the bar by James in goal.

With the game back in their control, the Socceroos created a flurry of chances, but were unlucky to miss the goal by mere inches on several occasions.

Before the break however, the lead would be doubled through Kewell.

Shrugging off Rio Ferdinand, Kewell rounded the keeper and slotted the ball home right before the half time break.

WATCH: Harry Kewell doubles Socceroos' lead

The hosts went on to make wholesale changes at the break, with the entire starting side subbed out.

The English started much brighter than they did in the first half, immediately putting the Socceroos under pressure.

It would pay off as they would pull one back through Francis Jeffers.

A well struck ball in from the right by Jermaine Jenas was met by the head of Jeffers, the striker heading past Schwarzer to half the deficit.

The game gradually winded down, with Brett Emerton sealing the result in the dying minutes.

John Aloisi was shoulder to shoulder with Ledley King but managed to thread the ball through to Emerton, with the Feyenoord striker tapping the ball through the legs of Paul Robinson in goal.


Stay At Home: Football Fix View Now

WATCH: Brett Emerton seals the win for the Socceroos