Sharks extend undefeated start in NPL NSW

The second week of the National Premier Leagues NSW Men’s competition is in the books and it is Rockdale Ilinden who remain in top spot.

Another six big matches are in the book at the end of Round 2 with plenty of shock results. 

Mt Druitt Town Rangers, Sydney United 58, Rockdale and Blacktown were the big winners, while Sutherland Sharks remain undefeated from their first two games.

However, it is Rockdale who has set the tone early this season and will be fighting hard to defend their position moving forward.

NEW SOUTH WALES: Knights make it two on the trot as they silence Thunder

NPL account thin banner

Sutherland Sharks 1- Marconi Stallions 1 at Seymour Shaw Park

A missed penalty in the dying stages has cost Sutherland Sharks as they were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw against Marconi Stallions at Seymour Shaw Park on Saturday.

Striker Jeremey Cox had the chance to win it for the Sharks from the penalty spot in the 83rd minute but was denied by a brilliant save from Stallions shot-stopper Nenad Vekic.

It was another frustrating draw for Sutherland who took the lead in the first half thanks to a clinical finish from Gabriel Contigiani.

For the Stallions, it was a hard-earned point with a Marko Jesic penalty early in the second half securing the draw.


Mt Druitt Town Rangers 3 – APIA Leichhardt FC 1 at Popondetta Park

Mount Druitt Town Rangers have cruised to a 3-1 win against APIA Leichhardt FC in a frenetic contest at Popondetta Park on Saturday night.

The Rangers were serenaded onto the pitch by a local bagpiper then proceeded to waltz to three points in front of a bumper crowd.

Cooper Coskerie and John Roberts tallied in the first half, then Mitchell Smith’s counter-attacking goal in the second wrapped it up.

APIA Leichhardt wasn’t able to stem the tide in the first half and paid for it, conceding three goals.

There was a brief thought of a fightback when Franco Parisi thrashed home to make it 2-1, but it was a tough night at the office for the visitors.


Wollongong Wolves 1 – Manly United 1 at WIN Stadium

A Taylor McDonald strike in the dying stages has helped Wollongong Wolves salvage a 1-1 draw with Manly United at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

The draw was Wollongong’s first points of the season after an embarrassing 4-0 loss in the opening round.

It looked as if it was going to be another tough day at the office for the wolves when Richie Cardozo put Manly in front early thanks to a curling free-kick.

In front of a passionate home crowd, the Wolves fought back and snatched a point in dramatic style in the 89th minute courtesy of McDonald’s clutch finish.


Blacktown City 2 – Northbridge Bulls 0 at Lily Homes Stadium

Blacktown City FC recorded their first win for the 2021 NSW National Premier Leagues season with a 2-0 victory over Northbridge Bulls FC on Sunday afternoon at Lily Homes Stadium.

Goals to Suleyman Bangura and Jak O’Brien sealed the win for the home side, whose defensive stability kept an energetic Northbridge Bulls side at bay.

The win was the perfect way for star recruit Travis Major to celebrate his 200th match for the club.


Rockdale Ilinden 1 – Sydney Olympic 0 at Ilinden Sports Centre

A second-half strike from Alec Urosevski has helped Rockdale maintain their perfect start to the season with a 1-0 win against Sydney Olympic at Ilinden Sports Centre on Sunday.

It was a hard-fought win for Rockdale in front of a vocal home crowd as they held out Olympic for all three points.

However, the win was soured by a freakish injury to Daniel Araujo, who was taken from the field by an ambulance which delayed the game by more than an hour.

The result ensure’s Rockdale finish the round in top spot for the second straight week.


Sydney United 58 5 – Sydney FC 2 at Sydney United Sports Centre

Chris Payne’s welcome back to Edensor Park couldn’t have gone better with his brace sealing Sydney United 58 FC’s 5-2 thumping of Sydney FC at Sydney United Sports Centre in the second round of NPL NSW Men’s on Sunday.

Sydney FC made a fast start to the match as Luke Ivanovic opened the scoring after16 minutes.

The Young Sky Blues lead didn’t last long with Antelmi scoring two in less than two minutes to give the home side the lead.

A Matt Sim goal on the cusp of half time ensured united 58 had the upper hand going into the break.

Payne wasn’t to be denied scoring a brace after the half time interval to ensure the win.



Feature image courtesy of SGPHOTOGRAPHICS

Play Football website banner 2021