SA NPL Wrap | Metro Stars keep streak alive

MetroStars’ ninth consecutive win of the season passed the record of eight wins set between Round 7 and 14 in the 2011 campaign.

A goal in each half has given MetroStars a 2-0 victory over 10-man Raiders in Round 13 of the Premier League at TK Shutter Reserve on Saturday, setting a new club record.

MetroStars- ninth consecutive win passed the record of eight wins set between Round 7 and 14 in the 2011 campaign.

Anthony Solagna opened the scoring close to half-time, while Scott Tunbridge made the points safe shortly after the restart.

Shane Tobias was given his marching orders for the Raiders in between the two goals.

MetroStars coach Ivan Karlovic was pleased with a solid effort from his side.

“We put in a good, solid performance throughout the 90 minutes,” he said.

“I thought we were comfortable, even against 11 men. In the first half we controlled possession and maybe could-ve scored more. Afterwards we got the second goal and maintained control.”

“We won-t alter too much because we aim to get better as a group. Certain players have been introduced and it-s up to others to prove they deserve a starting spot.”

Raiders slipped out of the top six and coach Branko Milosevic concedes MetroStars were the better team.

“It wasn-t the best performance. We didn-t play as we know we can,” he said.

“MetroStars are experienced, took their chances and the red card didn-t help. We still tried to compete after half-time but I didn-t expect to get something from the game. Alemayo Kabede was also a big loss.”

“I-m not too worried about our position. I don-t even look at the table, if we-re good enough we will finish in the six. Let-s get the performances up, then see where we are.”

Solagna broke open a scrappy encounter with a goal nine minutes before the interval. A corner was not cleared and he was on hand to nod the ball home.

It got worse for Raiders in first-half injury time when Tobias was shown a straight red card.

MetroStars made the game safe three minutes into the second half when Tunbridge lobbed Daniel Atkins from outside the penalty area.

Tony Hatzis, Solagna and David Menechella were MetroStars best on ground.

Elsewhere, Adelaide Blue Eagles consolidated second position with a crushing 4-0 victory over Cumberland United at A.A Bailey Reserve on Saturday.

Kym Harris was in fine form, netting a hat-trick. Mitch Nicholson rounded out the scoring for the in-form Eagles, while Cumberland was reduced to 10 men.

Western Strikers came from behind to defeat West Torrens Birkalla 2-1 at Jack Smith Park.

Ryan Kitto gave the home side a half-time lead, but Strikers came out from the break and equalised almost immediately through Takuya Omura. Callum Flanagan put them ahead just prior to the hour mark.

Adelaide City crushed struggling Enfield City 7-0 at Rushworth Reserve on Saturday.

The black and whites ran riot, with Joel Allwright leading the scoring with a brace. He was aided by Jonathan Negus, Paul Radice, Marco Mittiga, Pat DeRuvo and Nick Budin.

Campbelltown City continued their recent impressive run with a 3-0 victory against Adelaide Comets at Steve Woodcock Sports Centre.

Calvin Mbarga netted a goal in each half, while Stephen Maio added the third late in the contest helping Joe Mullen-s side to its fourth consecutive win.

Para Hills secured a crucial 2-1 victory over Adelaide Cobras at The Paddocks with Rhys Townsend and David Wadey finding the net, before a Cobras consolation from Peter Veloudis.

Shaun McGreevy-s four-goal haul led Croydon to a 4-2 victory over White City at Frank Mitchell Park on Saturday night.

The teams were level at the break before a second half goal-fest. Nikola Mileusnic and Lloyd Owusu were on target for White City.