SA NPL wrap | Campbelltown climb the ladder

Campbelltown City reduced the gap to the top of the table following a 2-0 victory over Enfield City in Round 16 of the Premier League

Campbelltown City reduced the gap to the top of the table following a 2-0 victory over Enfield City in Round 16 of the Premier League at Steve Woodcock Sports Centre on Saturday.

Two goals inside the final 10 minutes from Michael Matricciani and Calvin Mbarga saw the third-placed Red Devils climb to within one point of Adelaide Blue Eagles and seven from leaders MetroStars.

Campbelltown goalkeeper Les Pogliacomi called the first 80 minutes ‘frustrating- as they failed to find a way past the Falcons.

“It was a good, professional performance. It was frustrating for a while, but we kept digging away and Michael came up with a moment of quality,” he said.

“Enfield came to get a point and I think we handled them well. For as long as they kept us scoreless they were in it, but once we scored they had to come out and we got the second.”

“It was a good day for us results-wise, but we-ll just focus on what we do. We can-t control what happens at other grounds.”

Enfield captain Dimi Parhas believes his side can take a lot from the match despite the result.

“We worked hard and put in a commendable display. I can-t fault any of the guys,” said the skipper.

“It was very disappointing to concede so late. We had worked so hard to that point. They were coming at us but didn-t create too many clear cut chances. I thought we were going to get a point.”

“We will take a lot from this game. We stuck with the third-placed team for 80 minutes. The boys showed plenty of heart and now we have to keep the momentum going.”

It took the home side 82 minutes and a piece of brilliance to break down a stubborn Falcons side, when Matricciani curled a free kick into the far corner to open the scoring.

Goal machine Mbarga was on the end of a cross as the match entered injury time, finishing the chance low at the back post to ice the win.

Elsewhere, White City made it two wins in succession with a 2-0 win against West Torrens Birkalla at Jack Smith Park.

Lloyd Owusu and Nikola Mileusnic were on target, with the Warriors netting either side of half-time.

Western Strikers won a thrilling contest 4-3 against Adelaide Blue Eagles at Carnegie Reserve.

The scores were tied 1-1 at the interval. Strikers then raced to a three-goal lead, before Blue Eagles late comeback.

Takuya Omura, Adrian D-Alfonso, Andreas Weins and Callum Flanagan were on target for the home side, with Chris Annicchiarico, Adam Harris and Johnny Giannitto netting for Blue Eagles.

A last-gasp winner gave Para Hills a 3-2 result over Raiders at The Paddocks.

All goals came in the second half and the hosts had a two-goal lead pegged back, only to win it in injury time.

Michael Mullen, Alex Mullen and Steve Ward netted for the Knights while Tony Cann and Brandon Reeves brought Raiders back into the contest.

Cumberland United defeated MetroStars for the third time this season, winning 2-1 at TK Shutter Reserve.

Following League and Coca-Cola Federation Cup victories, the Foxes completed the clean sweep against MetroStars with goals from Jonathon Rideout and Valentino Yuel, while Perry Mitris netted for the hosts.

Adelaide Cobras moved out of the relegation zone with a 2-1 win over fellow strugglers Adelaide Comets at Weigall Oval.

Elias Demourtzidis gave Comets an early lead but a double from young star Matthew Bouzalis ensured victory for Cobras.

Image by Chris Kelly