NSW NPL Wrap: Bonnyrigg back on top

Bonnyrigg White Eagles returned to the top of the league ladder with a workmanlike performance at Marconi Stallions on Sunday, leaving Sutherland Sharks in second.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles returned to the top of the league ladder with a workmanlike performance at Marconi Stallions on Sunday, leaving Sutherland Sharks in second after the latter was held to a 2-2 draw by Rockdale City.

Elsewhere, Sydney Olympic made it consecutive wins with a big three-pointer against APIA-Leichhardt Tigers, meanwhile Sydney United 58 FC was held at home by Blacktown Spartans.

Central Coast Mariners Academy secured its first win of the season with a late, dramatic, show against South Coast Wolves - spearheaded by Chris Payne who netted four goals in Round 11 action this weekend.

Sutherland Sharks 2 Rockdale City Suns 2 Sutherland Sharks were made to work hard by Rockdale City Suns on Saturday evening at Seymour Shaw as the side moved into first-spot on the ladder, awaiting Bonnyrigg White Eagles- Sunday afternoon match.

The Sharks needed to twice come from behind to salvage a point - the Suns going ahead via Alec Urosevski in only the 3- minute. Uroseveski-s strike took a heavy deflection, making goalkeeper Nathan Denham-s task of parrying the attempt merely impossible.

The home side found its equaliser in the closing stages of the opening half as Jamie McMaster-s cross-turn-shot caught out goalkeeper Diego Barcena who failed to read the flight of the ball.

In the second-half, Panni Nikas showed his brilliance with another magnificent performance for the Sharks, though once more it would be the Suns who hit the lead.

Richard Cardozo continued his rich vein of form with a 55- minute penalty after Seiya Kawamura was fouled inside the penalty-area, though once again the Sharks would draw level.

Nicholas Olsen, on as a second-half substitute for Brad Boardman, cleverly lost his marker before heading home with a neat finish from a Nikas cross to secure his side a share of the spoils.

Central Coast Mariners Academy 4 South Coast Wolves 3 Central Coast Mariners Academy scored its first win of the season with a dramatic last-ditch 4-3 victory at Pluim Park on Saturday evening.

The competition-s new boys fought tooth and nail for the win, with Chris Payne the hero of the night, netting all four of his side-s goals for the win. Payne netted the opener with a powerful finish on 19- minutes before Ricky Zucco drew the Wolves level shortly after with a fabulous set-piece goal.

Mitchell Del Turco had the visitors ahead on the stroke of half-time when he found the ball at his feet inside the penalty-area, picking his spot before driving the ball home for the half-time lead.

Shortly after the hour mark, Payne scored the equaliser from the penalty-spot following Samuel Chapple-s straight red card for a hand ball on the goal line, leaving the Wolves to fend with a numerical disadvantage for the final 30- minutes.

Payne grabbed his hat-trick with some fine fighting spirit to hand his side the lead, though Zucco again pulled the ten-men from the South Coast back into the encounter with an equaliser in the 86- minute. The Wolves number 10 lifted the ball up nicely to allow for a powerful strike on goal, finished off with aplomb. The Mariners however were not to be denied its maiden win of the season, and man of the moment Payne netted with a clinical finish for the win.

Manly United FC 0 Blacktown City FC 3 Manly United-s string of poor results continued when it ran into a brick wall, in the shape of Blacktown City FC, at Cromer Park on Saturday evening.

Blacktown City, seething still from the disappointing lapses in concentration against the Spartans one week earlier, brought it-s ‘A- game to the Northern Beaches, securing an impressive 3-0 win in the process.

Ryuji Miyazawa was quick out of the blocks, netting for the visitors inside the 1- minute of play to make it a difficult task for the home side.

Matt Sim had a chance to draw Manly United level however, on 10- minutes, a Harris Gaitatzis set-piece, executed perfectly, had the Manly supporters in complete silence as the former White Eagles player made it 2-0.

Sean Rooney put the result beyond doubt in the 26- minute when he used his pace to skip past goalkeeper Dylan Mitchell and net for the 3-0 win.

The home side lost Graeme Forbes 10- minutes from the end when he received a red card for a poorly timed challenge, adding to a disappointing afternoon for Craig Midgley-s men.

Marconi Stallions 0 Bonnyrigg White Eagles 2 Bonnyrigg White Eagles returned to the top of the League ladder with a hard fought 2-0 defeat of Marconi in Bossley Park.

After a very even first-half display, Jordan Crighton - 4- minutes before the break - and Chris Tadrosse - early in the second-half - secured the win for last season-s grand-finalists, Bonnyrigg gaining some sort of revenge against the Stallions who denied the side what would have been a perfect League campaign. Crighton-s opener was a well hit volley, finding its way past a sea of bodies to make it 1-0.

Captain Tadrosse capped off the win in the 57- minute with a well-driven effort, beating James Chronopoulos at his near post.

The win sees Brian Brown-s men back on top of the ladder after Saturday evening-s results.

APIA-Leichhardt Tigers 0 Sydney Olympic 2 Sydney Olympic mastered the difficult playing surface to secure three-points in a far from memorable last home match of the season for APIA-Leichhardt Tigers.

The Tigers, who will see their Lambert Park surface re-laid, were second best for large spells and went behind early in the second period when captain Mark Byrnes conceded a penalty that was duly disposed of by Kingsley Williams.

Zak Elrich capitalised only three minutes later to put the result to bed when a mix up in the Tigers rear guard saw the youngster slot home from close range.

Sydney United 58 FC 0 Blacktown Spartans 0 A fiery encounter at Sydney United Sports Centre between the Reds and the Spartans failed to produce any goals on Sunday afternoon.

Three red cards were handed out in the match, two to the home side, as Mark Rudan-s men failed to find a winner despite a plethora of goal scoring chances during the 90- minutes of football.

The Reds will be without Mitchell Stamatellis and Stepjan Paric for their next match - at home against Manly United FC - meanwhile the Luke Austin too will miss the Spartans match after collecting two yellow cards.

Much of the Reds frustration can be directed at the exceptional form of goalkeeper Carlos Saliadarre. The Blacktown Spartans shot-stopper was again in exceptional form, ensuring his side secured a share of the spoils.

Photo courtesy of Football NSW