NPL Weekend Wrap

The 2022 NPL New South Wales season kicked off over the weekend while action continued in Victoria and South Australia.

Check out the full wrap of the weekend that was below.

NPL Victoria

South Melbourne continued their scintillating start to the season with a 2-0 win over Melbourne Knights in the Original Melbourne Derby at Lakeside Stadium on Friday night.

Patrick Langlois and Jai Ingham both scored for the second week running as South, who are the only team with maximum points to their name after three rounds of action maintain their spot at the top of the NPL Victoria standings.

St Albans, who are one of only two other sides to maintain an unbeaten record this season climbed into second with a shock 1-0 win over Avondale at Avenger Park on Saturday.

Ivan Razumic’s 17th minute strike proved decisive as the Saints handed Avondale their first league defeat in just under 12 months.

St Albans win sets up an early top-of-the-table clash against South Melbourne on Sunday evening at Churchill Reserve.

Bentleigh Greens picked up their first points of the season thanks to Pierce Waring’s 83rd minute penalty which secured a 1-0 win over Heidelberg United at Kingston Heath on Friday night.

Friday’s result leaves Heidelberg, who are the only side yet to pick up a point rooted to the bottom of ladder.

Goals from Scott Lochead and Joey Knowles in a 2-1 result saw Oakleigh hand Dandenong Thunder, who finished with ten men after Tomas Maricic was sent off in stoppage time their first defeat of the season.

Elsewhere Dandenong City, Port Melbourne and Eastern Lions all picked up their first wins of the season with victories over Hume City, Green Gully and Altona Magic respectively.

Round 4 NPL Victoria action gets underway on Friday night with Melbourne Knights hosting Bentleigh Greens and Green Gully facing Dandenong City.


A Charles Lokolingoy double on debut saw Marconi defeat Sutherland Sharks 3-2 at Seymour Shaw in the opening match of the 2022 NPL NSW season.

First half goals from Marko Jesic and Lokolingoy saw the visitors lead 2-0 before James Andrew pulled a goal back for the Sharks on the stroke of half time.

Lokolingoy reinstated the Stallions lead shortly after the restart but his side who finished with ten men after Roberto Speranza was sent off were forced to hang on for the three points after Jason Madonis late strike for the hosts.

Matt Sim marked his return to Manly with the winning goal in a 1-0 victory on the road against Sydney Olympic at Belmore Sports Ground on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old, who started his career with Manly 12 years ago secured all three points for the boys from Cromer Park with superbly timed chipped goal on the stroke of half time.

Sunday’s matches saw a nine-man Blacktown City hold on to take a 1-0 win against Rockdale at Blacktown City Sports Centre.

Hiroaki Aoyama grabbed a goal on debut for what proved to be the games only goal in the 8th minute, the Japanese attacker turned home a first time finish following some brilliant work down the right from Charles Mendy.

Blacktown finished the match with nine men after captain, Matthew Lewis was dismissed in the 40th minute before Jackson Bandiera also received his marching orders late in the second half.

A goal from Captain, Adrian Vlastelica saw Sydney United kick off their campaign with a 1-0 win over nine-man Wollongong Wolves at the Sydney United Sports Centre.

Vlasetica’s clinical 59th minute finish proved decisive against a Wolves side who had Banri Banaizumi and Sanna Stevenson sent off in a fiery affair.

Despite letting a two-goal lead slip Sydney FC grabbed a 3-2 win over Northbridge in the final game of the weekend.

Jaiden Kurcharski had Sydney ahead early with a quickfire double before the Bulls clawed their way back into the contest with goals from Rory Jordan and Stephan De Robillard.

Despite the Bulls strong fightback a stunning Zac Sapsford strike ten minutes from time saw Sydney snatch all three points in a thrilling contest at Rockdale Illinden Sports Centre.

Mount Druitt Town Rangers clash against APIA Leichhardt Tigers was postponed as a result of the weekend’s wild weather on the East Coast.


South Adelaide moved outright top of the RAA NPLSA standings with a 3-2 win on the road over West Torrens Birkalla on Friday night.

Goals from Blake Lindsay, Jonathon Rideout and Donovan Pollock saw the Panthers lead 3-0 at half time and despite a pair of late goals from the hosts South Adelaide hung on to remain the only side with maximum points to their name after three rounds of action.

A pair of early goals including an Allan Welsh stunner saw Adelaide Comets continue their unbeaten start to the season with a 2-0 win over Sturt Lions at AA Bailey Reserve on Friday night.

Kur Kur starred with a hat-trick as defending Champions, Adelaide City returned to winning ways with a 5-1 win over Cumberland City on Saturday evening.

Jonny Yull scored an early goal of the season contender from inside his own half as Adelaide United picked up their first win of the season with a 3-1 victory over Adelaide Olympic on Saturday night.

A Dion Kirk double saw Croydon hand MetroStars their first defeat of the season at TK Shutter Reserve in the Match of the Round on Sunday afternoon.

Beograd and Campbelltown City picked up their first point of the season after playing out a 2-2 draw at Frank Mitchell Park on Saturday afternoon.

Ninko Beric’s second half brace saw Beograd fight their way back from a two-goal half time deficit after City lead through goals from Luigi Ditroia and Anthony Piscioneri.