Matildas at Home: Sydney book grand final spot, Melbourne derby on the horizon

The A-League Women's finals series has served up two incredible clashes with some Commonwealth Bank Matildas taking centre stage. 

AUS v NZL TSV Get Tickets Now

But before the finals action, there was one final regular-season match. 

Canberra United and Brisbane Roar dished up a 3-3 draw to round out the season. 

Katrina Gorry was at her best, setting up Larissa Crummer and Ayesha Norrie to help the Roar to a 2-0 lead. But the team in green showed great fight to and Michelle Heyman was at her dazzling best. 

The league's all-time leading scorer added a hat trick to her tally to put Canberra in front. But there was one last twist with Crummer turning provider for Meg McElligott to draw things level in the 90th minute. 

The chaotic energy of that final season game flowed into the semi-finals with Sydney FC and Melbourne City playing out a 4-2 classic. The teams needed extra time to be separated with the Sky Blues staging an almighty comeback to earn hosting rights to the grand final in two weeks' time. 

Emma Checker and Wini Heatley's Melbourne City looked set to crush Sydney's night with the away side taking a 2-0 lead.

Jada Whyman, Charlie Rule, and the Sydney defence were called into action. Against the run of play, Tyla-Jay Vlajnic's cross wasn't dealt with by Nat Tobin and Hannah Wilkinson made no mistake from close range. 

The Kiwi international would soon have a brace. Neat work from Rebekah Stott and Leticia McKenna saw Wilkinson once again find the back of the net. 

Sydney FC attacking stocks were on full display. While Remy Siemsen and Paige Satchell started the match, the Sky Blues were also able to call on the likes of Cortnee Vine and Maria Jose Rojas.

The duo's injection into the game would prove crucial with Vine scoring Sydney's first. Ally Green's barnstorming run and cross found the head of the Commonwealth Bank Matilda. 

NEWS: CommBank Matildas to play historic home international in Townsville

READ: 'It's indescribable' ParaMatildas star Beikoff ecstatic to be part of Matildas family

WATCH: Chloe Logarzo talks about the unique opportunity to bring in all our regional supporters

City's night began to deteriorate with the sending off of Vlajnic followed by Rojas' equaliser in stoppage time. 

Down to 10 and with another half an hour to go, things went from bad to worse for City. Mackenzie Hawkesby's corner then found the head of Sarah Hunter to put Sydney ahead before Rojas and Vine combined to make it four.

City's keeper Melissa Barbieri was then sent off for handling the ball outside of the box. 

Sydney has now booked a place in a fifth consecutive grand final while Melbourne City will need to regroup ahead of their preliminary final battle with crosstown rivals Melbourne Victory. 

AUS v NZL CBR Get Tickets Now

The defending champions defeated Adelaide United 2-1 to keep their hopes of back to back titles alive. 

With no Kyra Cooney-Cross, Victory utilised the attacking prowess of Alex Chidiac, Catherine Zimmerman, Lia Privitelli, and Melina Ayres. 

Chidiac and Zimmerman combined before the latter teed up Privitelli for the opener. Japanese national Nanako Sasaki struck a spectacular free-kick to restore parity for the Reds. 

Courtney Nevin's left foot was once again an important attacking weapon for Victory while Dylan Holmes was a marshal in the midfield for United. 

But it was Ayres who would have the final say. It was her ball out wide which sent Privitelli on a run and she would ultimately meet the cross Privitelli put in, ghosting into the box unmarked to head home and give Victory the lead. 

Victory's win now sets up a clash with Melbourne City on Sunday afternoon for a spot in the grand final and a match up with Sydney FC. 

Visit page
This article was originally published on the CommBank Matildas website.