Born in Scotland in 1880, Dockerty came to Australia as a tailor in 1907. A pioneer of Australian soccer, he started his playing career in 1908 by advertising in a Melbourne newspaper calling for interested players to meet in a local park. The response was so good he established six teams, including one in the small Gippsland mining town of Wonthaggi and another in Box Hill. The Box Hill club survives to this day. In 1918 Dockerty donated a solid silver trophy, known as the Dockerty Cup, for an annual senior knockout competition. That same year Dockerty was elected president of the Victorian Soccer Federation. It was the first of three separate terms as Federation president, the last ending in 1965. One of Dockerty’s last major public appearances was at St Kilda, where the sport’s first headquarters was located. The former doctor’s residence became Soccer House for the Victorian Soccer Federation in 1960. Dockerty gave 58 years of his life to Victorian soccer before he died in 1965, aged 85.