Glory make wasteful Reds pay

Perth Glory extended their unbeaten run to seven matches with a resounding 3-0 win over Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium after the home side failed to put the visitors to the sword throughout the match.

Perth Glory have extended their unbeaten run to seven matches with a resounding 3-0 win over Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium after the home side failed to put the visitors to the sword throughout the match.

Adelaide could not take advantage of their possession dominance and numerous opportunities including several clear cut chances to striker Bruce Djite as Perth made the Reds pay with three goals against the run of play from only five shots - all on target - for the entire 90 minutes.

The visitors struck twice within six minutes in the first half courtesy of hitman Shane Smeltz and in-form Scotsman Steven McGarry before wrapping up the three points 10 minutes from time via Liam Miller's clinical finish.

Smeltz grabbed the first for Perth after he robbed the ball off Reds defender Daniel Mullen following his blunder in the 14th minute before McGarry pounced on a scramble in Adelaide's box from a corner on 20 minutes to prod the ball past Reds keeper-captain Eugene Galekovic.

Former Celtic and Leeds midfielder Miller put the result beyond doubt in the 80th minute with an intelligent show of skill.

The result moves the Glory into fourth while a second loss in as many weeks comes as a big blow to Adelaide's finals hopes as they are now stranded four points outside the top six.

Although they were camped in their own half in the opening minutes following a Perth onslaught, Adelaide fought back to dominate the next 10 minutes of play.

Marquee star Dario Vidosic was the first to give Adelaide a sniff on 5 minutes when a ricochet off fellow forward Djite fell kindly to the 24-year-old as he streamed into Perth's Box, however the Socceroo could only fire his angled effort into the side netting.

Perth barely had time to recover when Vidosic then turned provider a minute later with an intelligent flick on to Dutch attacker Sergio van Dijk who was breaking down the left wing.

Van Dijk drove into the box and delivered an inch perfect pass to Djite who only had Perth custodian Danny Vukovic to beat, however the 24-year-old smashed his shot into the right post with the goal at his mercy.

Djite would again fluff another point-blank chance in the 12th minute when he blazed over a rebound from van Dijk's blistering drive that Vukovic could only parry, after a series of neat triangle one touch passes with the Dutchman and Vidosic.

Djite tried to make amends but his horror night continued when he fired his shot inches wide after taking on two Glory defenders before cutting into the box from the right in the 13th minute.

The failure to finish would haunt the Reds only moments later when Perth striker Smeltz gave the Western Australian side the lead against Adelaide's long period of dominance to silence the 9,063 strong Hindmarsh crowd.

After collecting a long throw from Reds teammate Osama Malik, Mullen failed to control the ball on the edge of his own area as Smeltz seized upon the loose ball and teased the Olyroo defender before holding off a late challenge from Malik to calmly slot the ball past Galekovic.

The goal clearly shocked Adelaide as they began to retreat and look reluctant to push forward.

With the Reds shaken, Perth capitalised on 20 minutes through McGarry who standing on Adelaide's goal-line turned in fullback Todd Howarth's knock on from a corner after a failure to clear from United.

Adelaide had two chances late in the half through Malik and Djite again but both failed to hit the target as the shot count drifted into double digits.

The frustration was summed up for the home side when midfielder Zenon Caravella reacted furiously to his substitution just before halftime for 16-year-old Jacob Melling, kicking a water bottle before throwing his bib to the ground and failing to re-emerge from the rooms in the second half.

Despite the margin Adelaide looked undaunted and clearly out to make amends for failing to punish the Glory in the first half.

Melling almost found the breakthrough for United when he was put through by Fabian Barbiero's clever dink over the Perth defence in the 47th minute but the youngster in just his third appearance belted a half-volley well into the stands.

Perth then condemned Adelaide to their worst defeat since ‘Kossiemania' returned in late December when Irish midfielder Miller made it 3-0 in the 80th minute.

Brazilian substitute Andrezinho raced up the left-wing before cutting a smart ball back in between two Reds defenders to pick up the run of Miller who then slithered past a further two Adelaide stoppers to strike the ball into the bottom right-hand corner beyond an obstructed Galekovic.

The difference in end product was evident as Adelaide finished with astonishing 18 shots and only six on target.

Adelaide United 0 Perth Glory 3 (Smeltz 14, McGarry 20, Miller 80)

9,063 at Hindmarsh Stadium