Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory: match preview
Adelaide United are in danger of sliding further down the Hyundai A-League ladder against old enemy Melbourne Victory on Friday night (kick off 7.30pm AEDT).
Gertjan Verbeek's side have lost four matches in a row ahead of the clash, following a 3-0 downfall at reigning Premiers Perth Glory last Saturday.
That result put the Reds out of the top six and another defeat at home to their fiercest rivals would be a demoralising blow for the FFA Cup 2019 winners.
Losing this contest in the City of Churches would be a similarly costly defeat for Victory, who were comfortably swatted aside 3-1 when the two teams met last November.
With both sides level on 15 points, bragging rights and top-six credentials going on the line, this is looming as a potentially season-defining fixture for both sides.
Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory
Friday, 17 January 2020
Kick off: 7pm local, 7.30pm AEDT
Broadcast: FOX Sports 505
Stream: MyFootball Live App, Kayo Sports
Ways to watch
How to follow the action
Match centre: Live updates, videos and statistics
Follow @ALeague on Twitter and join the conversation using #ADLvMVC #ALeague
Did you know?
- Adelaide United have won their last three matches against Melbourne Victory and have never won four in a row in the history of the Original Rivalry.
- Adelaide United have lost their last four Hyundai A-League matches in succession. That's as many defeats as they picked up in their previous 15 matches (won 10 and drawn one)
- Melbourne Victory have scored six goals in the opening 15 minutes of games this season, the joint most of any team in the competition.
- Six of Melbourne Victory's last seven matches have seen the half-time result stay the same at full-time. Victory have picked up three wins and three defeats in that spell.
- Reds centre-back Michael Jakobsen has made the most clearances of any player in the Hyundai A-League this season with 68. That's nine more than Victory's best, James Donachie, with 59.